our local concern: village life holidays
Most holiday makers need a comfortable accommodation, for relaxation and regenaration in their leisure time. And we can provide it in suitable hotels according to your wishes.
But some accept some efforts to experience the extraordinary. Trekking or camping can sometimes be strenuous and overnight stays are less comfortable during those days.
Many travellers know the dream of experiencing the living conditions in a foreign country. And many want to leave the tourist ghettos. The best way to stay in the real Sri Lanka is to live in a friend's house. But first-time visitors usually do not know friends before arrival.
But we can offer an alternative very similar to staying in a friend's house. Our village life holidays are the perfect opportunity to be engaged with locals and to find new friends.
We offer very different kinds of village life experiences:
1. You can have a full-day village life programm including a variety of activities with locals. Such village life itineraries are usually organized in the Habarana or Sigiriya area. But you should be aware that foreign visitors are a main income way for the hosts, in this case. They have guests quite often. Nevertheless, we can recommend this kind of excursions, for a change, besides heritage sightseeing and safari. It's worth it and most guests really enjoy it.
2. But in order to fullfil dreams of authentic rural life experiences, you should prefer and accept less professional host families, who remain to be ordinary farmers in the first place. And you should stay in the village for several days, this means: tolerate uncomfortable accommodation, only a little bit better than that you would accept for camping safaris or 3-day trekkings.
3. You also have a choice to combine village life activities with wildlife exploration. A good place is the camp of the Randenigala National Park. A stay in the Wildlife Department's camp can not be organized without cooperation with locals from the village nearby. Another opportunity to join village life is a holiday in the Sinharaja rain forest camp. Furthermore, Team Sightseeinlanka has good relations with the aboriginal Vedda community in and around Maduru Oya National Park.
4. For those who love this idea of a truly authentic travel experience, but with professional preparation by Sri Lankans, and who do not need normal comfortable holiday accommodations, we can arrange village family holidays for a longer period, too, for a week or two or longer. It's your choice. A member of Team Sightseeinglanka will be your helper and translator and your guide for excursions.
For this purpose we recommend Nelumpure. It is an untouched rural village, but has the advantage of being situated in the core of the Cultural Triangle area, this means you could enjoy lots of day excursions to heritage site in case you don't want to miss sightseeing. So Nelumpure is a perfect starting point to explore the impressive remains the ancient Sinhalese civilisation, too. Additionally, you could take part in Safaris to Minneriya or Kaudulla National Parks when staying in Nelumpure.
5. For those who prefer a location at the beach we recommend Okanda, in this case you will stay not in a family's house, but you will be supported be the neighbours. Okanda has a perfect sandy beach completely untouristed, but be aware, there are dangerous currents. This is a problem in Sri Lanka in general, but the south-east coast is the most dangerous area. Okanda offers hiking opportunities and it is situated just at the entrance of the highly recommendble Kumana National Park.
So please let us know your wishes and preferences and we will try to find a suitable solution a big international company could never arrange for you, because they are not engaged with ordinary farmers.
Sinharaja rain forest
Kanneliya small rain forest
Dry zone south
Okanda village life and beach
Dry zone north
Habarana oxcart excursions
Nelumpure authentic village life
Rasvehera monastery and wildlife
Tabbowe lake near Wilpattu NP
Meemure village life and trekking
Randenigala NP alternative camp
Meemure village life holidays
We recommend truly authentic holiday stays among locals in the hill country village Meemure, far away from any tourism hurly-burly. The remote hamlet Meemure is situated in the breathtaking landscape of Knuckles Range, a perfect starting point for trekking. Read more...
Private Cooking Classes
Anyone interested in small private introductory cooking classes will be welcome in Nelumpure. Learning Sri Lankan style cooking in a similarly familiar manner can be offered by Team Sightseeinglanka at many more locations, for example on Kalpitiya island in the west, which is well-known for water sports and dolphin-watching and within day-excursion-distance of Wilpattu National Park, or in Tissamaharama in the deep south of the island, close to Yala and Bundala National Parks.
Slideshow version here...